Do You Need to Reset Your Home’s Motion Sensor Lighting? Learn How to Do It Safely
If your motion sensor light is not working as well as it should, if it is stuck on, or it is stuck off, then you might need to reset it. If it blinks or is sensitive to power surges, then you might need to reset it. It is also possible that there is something more serious wrong that your local electrician will need to repair. If you’d like to first try to reset it yourself, follow these directions. If that does not work, contact Sonner Electric at 661-728-0126 for help.
Signs That it is Time to Reset Your Home’s Motion Sensor
There are often many signs that it is time to reset your home’s motion sensor. They include:
- Your motion sensor lights are not triggered even when large moving objects are near them
- The light is more sensitive than it used to be and is no longer consistent
- The light stays on for a long time, or permanently, rather than turning off once whatever turned it off is gone
Ideally, your motion sensor lights will turn on immediately upon a large item being near it and then turn off within a few minutes. If this is not happening, then it might be time to reset them.
How to Reset Most Motion Sensor Lights
Of course, not all motion sensor lights are created equal but most of them can be reset in a few ways. Some options you can try include:
- Turn off the circuit breaker to the fixture and keep it off for at least 30 seconds.
- If your fixture has a light switch, turn it on for two seconds, off for two seconds, and then back on.
- If the fixture has a light switch, quickly turn it on and off five or six times, or until you see that the light is staying. Once it is staying on, you can then turn off the switch for five seconds and turn it back on.
- If you have an option to change the sensitivity level, adjust it to be less sensitive to motion.
- Replace the lightbulbs in the fixture.
If you try all of these options and it is not fixed then it is time to call in the professionals.
We Can Help Install Security Lights and Much More
Whether you need your motion sensors repaired or replaced, or you do not currently have security lighting and you need it installed, Sonner Electric is the right company to work with. We are standing by to provide you with options based on your unique needs. Call us now at 661-728-0126 to get started.