Follow These 5 Tips to Reduce the Chance You Cause an Electrical Fire in Your Home
No one wants to be responsible for starting an electrical fire in their own home but some people are surprised by just how often it can happen. At Sonner Electric we urge you to contact your local electrician for help as soon as you notice there is an issue. You can also follow these tips to reduce the chance that an electrical fire will start.
- Make Sure You Aren’t Overloading Your Outlets
- All Outlets Near Water Need to Be GFCI
- Do Not Keep Flammable Objects Near Outlets or Cords
- Do Not Leave Small Devices Plugged in When You Are Not Using Them
- Replace Old Appliances
Many people are doing this without even realizing it. If you’re not sure if you’re one of them, consider this: Do you have extension cords permanently plugged into one or more outlets in your home? If you do, then you are crea6ting a safety risk. Each of those outlets is designed to provide a specific amount of electricity. If you are using extension cords or power strips then you are overloading them – and this is the most common cause of electrical fires. It may be time to have your electrical panel upgraded.
If you have any outlet that is installed near a water source – such as outlet sin bathrooms, kitchens, or a workshop with a sink, then it should be what’s known as a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter or GFCI for short. They are designed to automatically cut power if there is moisture in or near them.
Any type of flammable item should not be in front of or too close to an outlet. This includes furniture, boxes, curtains, etc. Remember that most outlets may generate only a small, unnoticeable amount of heat, but if they become faulty in any way then they can generate much more heat – and this can cause serious issues including fires.
If you are an average family then you have at least 50 devices plugged in at any given time. If you are not using your entertainment system, your toaster, or another small device, unplug it. This greatly reduces the chance it will catch fire.
If you have an old appliance then you can bet that it is not as safe as today’s appliances. This is both because our technology has gotten both better and safer, and because of the fact that government regulations require that these items are safer.
If you are ready to make your home as electrically safe as possible then we urge you to contact your local electrical contractor. Reach out to Sonner Electric at 661-728-0126 to learn more about how we can upgrade your electrical system to make it safer.