Look Out for These Signs That Your Electric System is Dangerously Outdated and in Need of Updates
According to the National Fire Prevention Association, electrical problems are the second most common reason for house fires in the United States. A sizable number of these fires are started by electrical distribution, including wire and breaker boxes. This is a sobering number that might be reduced if households were more alert to the telltale indicators of an old electrical system.
Keep reading to learn about some of the warning signs that it’s time for rewiring and/or an electrical panel upgrade. Then contact Sonner Electric at 661-728-0126 to get started.
Circuit breakers trip frequently
An electrical circuit breaker frequently trips. This is especially true if you’re using the same circuit to power several appliances. At some time, there will undoubtedly be an overload. A red signal should be raised, nevertheless, if the circuit breakers trip frequently. Your home’s electrical wiring may have a serious flaw, or your electrical panel has to be replaced.
A typical electrical panel lasts 25 to 40 years. The electrical needs of modern dwellings can’t be met by outdated panels. Upgrade to a 200 amp electrical panel if you’re adding new appliances, such as a bigger refrigerator or hot tub.
Frayed wiring should never be ignored. Contact an electrician if you notice frayed wiring in a wall that has been exposed during remodeling work because this poses a risk of fire and shock.
Your lights may flicker on and off when there is a strong thunderstorm or windy conditions. It’s possible that a tree branch hit a neighboring electrical wire. Your home’s electrical wiring may need to be updated if your lights start to flicker on a regular day. The growing energy needs of your home might be too much for the outdated wiring to handle.
Your outlets are hot or warm
Be alert for a hot sensation when near an outlet. An outlet that is working properly should feel cool to the touch. A vibration from the outlet could also be felt. Wiring damage is probably the blame. There is no time to waste in delaying action. Your home can burn to the ground if a cord plugged into the wire manages to catch fire.
Weird noises coming from outlets and fixtures
Your ears may be able to detect a potential wiring issue. Frequently, a buzzing or sizzling sound might be heard coming from an outlet by homeowners. Electric noises can also be made by light fixtures. Even while changing the bulb might fix the problem, you can’t rule out poor wiring as the real cause.
Old aluminum wiring
It’s time to upgrade the wiring in your home if it was constructed in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Aluminum wire was a common element of dwellings at the time. Unfortunately, studies reveal that buildings with aluminum wiring have a greater than 50-fold increased risk of fire damage. Because copper wiring can withstand heat better, it is safer.
If you are dealing with any of these issues, contact Sonner Electric at 661-728-0126 for immediate help.